Any system is defined by the set of interrelated components which performs several functions in order to achieve a specific goal and thus it is an entity that maintains its existence and functions as a whole with various types of interaction. The behavior of different systems depends on its parts. Systems has several characteristics. One of them is to function properly, and all its components are arranged in a specific order. Another is that the systems tend to have specific purposes within the larger system in which they are embedded. For transportation systems, the main goal is to move people and goods efficiently and safely. And one of the imporatnt is systems feedback, which allows for the transmission and return of information. For transportation systems, there is a feedback relation between transportation and land use systems. The transportation system consists of three components i.e. the physical elements, human resources, and the operating rules. The physical elements includes the infrastructure, vehicles, equipment and the control, communications, and location systems.
Infrastructure is the fixed parts of transportation system which includes travelways, terminals, and stations. Travelways vary depending upon the transportation vehicle or mode. Terminals serve dispatching and storage functions by regulating the arrival and departure of vehicles and for storing vehicles and cargo. Stations serves only a subset of the functions served by terminals. They are primarily points of system exit or entry. Traffic operations analysis tools, regression analysis, probability, queuing theory, and optimization. are the basic tool techniques of the tranportation systems. Transportation Infrastructure Engineering includes Transportation Systems Models, Human, Vehicle, and Travelway Characteristics, Transportation Capacity Analysis, Transportation Planning and Evaluation, Geometric Design of Travelways , Structural Design of Travelways, Transportation Safety, Intelligent Transportation and Information Technology.
Transportation engineering refers to the branch of civil engineering which mainly concerned with the design, planning and management of the transportation system. Main objective of Transportation engineering is to provide the goods and services for people.
Transportation engineer is the one who is responsible for the planning and designing of the infrastructure systems. They are intended to provide the best effective modes of transportation for the citizens. A Transportation engineer can work in the various fields, such as airport engineer, port engineer, Railroad engineer, Highway engineer and many more.
Transportation Infrastructure Engineering covers various major subjects, including Railway Infrastructure Engineering, Transportation Infrastructure Design, Materials Engineering, Design and Construction of Transportation Facilities, Sustainable Transportation Infrastructure Engineering, geotechnics, Transportation Sustainability, Traffic Safety and Injury Prevention, Policy Analysis, Public Transportation Systems, Infrastructure Planning and Management, and many more.
Major software that used in this field is given below:
- GIS: GIS refers to the Geographic Information system that enables one to view the data in numerous ways. Transportation engineers use this software to enhance the Transportation infrastructure. It provides many ways to handle the infrastructure projects. It involves the planning, designing, security management and maintenance management of the Transportation Infrastructure.
Green infrastructure mainly can be defined as an integrated network of engineering system and natural environment which provide the number of benefits to peoples, such as clean air and water, environmental values, ecosystem values and many more. Rain Gardens and the Green roofs are the two major example of this. It involves greenways, gardens, waterways, pathways, etc.
Moreover, Transportation Infrastructure Geotechnology produces the description about all of the development that happened in the transportation infrastructure almost all over the world. It deals with the various types of Transportation infrastructure such as highways, airports, tunnels, bridges and many more. Further, it deals with the various topics viz. geosynthetics, geomaterials, earthworks for transportation facilities, geotechnics for pavements, performance evaluation, risk assessment, rail track, etc.
Highway engineering and Railways engineering are two major subjects that takes place in the Transportation Infrastructure Engineering. Highway engineering mainly deals with the construction, planning, design and many other aspects of highways while railway engineering deals with the all important aspects of railways.
Intelligent Transportation System is concerned with the transportation and traffic management related services. Main aim of Intelligent Transportation System is to provide the better services to the people. It enable user to know about the transport networks. Several technologies that take place in this are detection of Bluetooth, Computational and sensing technologies, detection of Inductive loop, detection of video vehicle, wireless communications and many more.
Furthermore, Transportation Infrastructure Engineering deals with the various major subjects, including Operations of Transportation Terminals, Infrastructure Planning and Management, Construction of Transportation Facilities, Transportation Planning, Land Use Planning, Public Transportation Systems, and many more. It also covers a wide range of its advanced subjects which are listed below:
- Seismic engineering
- Wind engineering
- Protection engineering
- Advanced Structural Analysis and Design
- Advanced Pavement Design
- Advanced Engineering Mathematics
- Advanced Structural Concretes
- Infrastructure Surveying & Asset Management
- Advanced Structures
- Transport System Analysis
Topics for Transportation Infrastructure Engineering
- Design, planning, operation, management, maintenance of transportation systems, ntegrated multi modal transportation systems , layout of highways, layout of airports, layout of railroads , traffic flow models,
- capacity analysis, life cycle costing procedures , design , operating principles , surface transportation systems, vehicle motion , performance, pavements, geometric design of roadbeds, vehicle flow , vehicle capacity
- traffic control, demand,supply , cost concepts Sustainable Transportation Infrastructure Engineering,Railway Infrastructure Engineering,Transportation Infrastructure Design Workshop,Transportation Infrastructure Project Planning
- Traffic Engineering,Applied Construction Project Management,Construction Practice,Marine Renewable Energy,Plates and Shells,Building Information Modelling,Reinforced Concrete Design,
- Sedimentation Engineering,Finite Element Analysis in Structural Mechanics,Wind Engineering and Energy,Coastal Engineering,Advanced Concrete Structures,Predictive Soil Mechanics,Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics
- Geology for Civil Engineers,Steel Structures,Foundations and Earthworks,Environmental Geotechnology,Highway Infrastructure Engineering,Civil Engineering Construction,Structural Analysis Theory and Design
- Construction Materials Technology,Site Surveying ,Construction CAD and Personal Development,Engineering Mathematics ,Advanced Structures, Theory,Advanced Structures
- Fluid Mechanics and Geotechnics - Applied Theory and Design,Advanced Engineering Mathematics ,Infrastructure Surveying & Asset Management ,Infrastructure Design ,Commercial Management and Personal Development
- Applied Professional Practice,Contemporary Issues in Professional Practice,Independent Study and Personal Development (Civil Engineering),Civil Engineering Management,Geotechnics ,Advanced Infrastructure Surveying and Design ,Advanced Structural Analysis and Design